Monday, February 22, 2010

Self Esteem and Exercise

Self - Esteem and Exercise

Peanut butter and Jelly, Ben & Jerry, Bread & butter, and Jack & Jill. They all come in pairs, right? Well so does self-esteem and exercising!! Self-esteem is defined as "the experience of being capable of meeting life's challenges and being worthy of happiness. We all deserve that joy in life! Many of us, the last thing we take care of is our bodies and our health.

As women, we tend to take care of others before ourselves. I am sure you have heard the famous cliche before, "You cannot give to others unless you have given to yourself first." WELL, its true!! Being a mother of two young girls, I have learned that when I have taken care of myself, i.e., showered, got the 8 hours of sleep a night, and hit the gym for an energetic workout, I give them the best MOM I can be!! And they like that a lot!

As a young woman, I suffered from anorexia. My self esteem was at all time low in college. Uncertain of my future career, changes in diet, exercise, sleep, the stress of schoolwork and being away from home made up for a terrible case of depression and disordered eating. To cure myself of the disease and to end my suffering, I educated myself on the right ways to eat (YES, EAT! not starve!), stay in shape, and to cope with my everyday stressors. I eat six small meals a day, exercise 6 days a week, get my rest, and laugh and play with my two little angels to cope with the stressors of day to day living.

I think the misconception most women have is that they must eat very little in order to stay a certain size. That could be no further from the TRUTH ladies!! Our bodies will be sent into starvation mode and will hold onto every ounce of fat we have, leaving us with very little muscle and whole lot of soft tissue!! And on top of that, we will have very little energy to exercise and even moreso to stand up straight without passing out. As mothers, we need all the energy we can get so that is not an option!!!!

So give yourself a boost today. Take a walk, set up a mini bootcamp in your living room (will be posted later), play scavenger hunt with your small children, or do an exercise DVD you have been letting collect dust on the shelf. Try eating one serving of vegetables a day and work your way up to the recommended 6 servings. I promise your body and your self-esteem will soar! The more you practice taking care of your body, the more confident you become!

In health and love,
Jensy

No comments:

Post a Comment